Our HVAC and HVDC cables connect to the converter station via Monks Hill Beach and Solent Airport.
Work on the airfield during 2018 and early 2019 involved excavation of trenches and joint bays, installation of ducts for the cables in the trenches, backfilling and reinstatement. Installation of the cables and jointing works took place in 2019.
In October 2017, National Grid IFA2 undertook EMF trials on Solent airport. Using AC and DC cable systems installed and energised in the configuration and current rating reflecting the actual conditions in service. This was to verify compliance with the planning conditions and that there was no interference with aircraft avionics.
All participants, including airfield users confirmed that:
- During the trials all aircraft systems functioned as normal
- There were no anomalies observed on any of the aircraft avionics
- Magnetic compass deviation was temporary and minor
- For more information on Solent Airport please visit www.solentairport.co.uk
Monks Hill Beach
This is where both the HVAC and HVDC cables come onshore.
Our work included excavating, backfilling and reinstating trenches to install cable ducts and the construction of three transition joint bays in the car park.
We are currently conducting pre-commissioning works, which will include a series of tests carried out in conjunction with Fareham Borough Council and independent, specialist, consultants. The tests will be carried out over the next 4-6 weeks and will monitor any impact the project might have on its environment. This will include electromagnetic fields and noise, for example. We will share further information (including test results) as it becomes available.
- The IFA2 Interconnector commissioning phase continues to progress towards active power transfers. During active power transfers, details of planned flows will be shared via the REMIT portal. With the testing of a new asset, issues may be identified, and the plan may be modified accordingly. REMIT will be updated with further information when appropriate. If you wish to view these yourselves, please use the information here.
Final stages of car park reinstatement work.
Chilling is where IFA2 connects to the electricity transmission network. We have installed cables from the shore area to the existing National Grid substation site on Chilling Lane.
We used a technique known as Horizontal Direct Drilling (HDD) to install cables in the shore area. This involved drilling underground and installing a series of ducts, which we then pulled the cables through.
Elsewhere, we dug trenches, buried the ducts, reinstated the ground, and pulled the cables through the ducts.
For further information on NGET and the work at Chilling please visit: https://www.nationalgridet.com/infrastructure-projects/ifa-2-connection
Reinstated speed bumps at the Chilling site.
- Our work in this area is now complete. Thank you for your patience during the construction and reinstatement work.
Last updated: Wednesday, November 25, 2020