IFA2 is in the process of installing six HVAC cables between Monk's Hill Beach and Chilling. This work has been progressing well, we have now laid all of the cables.
We will now bury the HVAC cables and continue to prepare for the arrival of the HVDC cables from France.
- The C57 Red Squirrel jack-up barge, is in position in the intertidal area off Monks Hill Beach. The working area for the barge is marked by buoys and is patrolled by safety vessels for your protection; please avoid this active working area. This is expected to depart in wc 9/9/19.
- The CAPALL MARA (shown below) will arrive on site shortly for trenching work associated with the HVDC cables. We will be working up to 2km from shore with the CAPALL MARA and will share further details shortly. The HVDC cable pull is scheduled for mid-October after CAPALL MARA has completed trenching works.
- Our HVAC burial vessel JIF ARTEMIS is burying the HVAC cables beneath the seabed. We expect this work to last until November.
- Our support vessel, GREEN QUEST, will be in the area assisting JIF ARTEMIS.
- Please be extra vigilant in this construction area during the installation period. We are very grateful for your patience and cooperation.
C57 Red Squirrel (with thanks to Ian Haskell for the image)
The CAPALL MARA
The current position of our HVAC vessels can be tracked using the MarineTraffic.com tool below.
The HVDC cables linking the electricity transmission systems of Great Britain and France are an essential part of IFA2. We will carry out the work to lay these cables in 2019.
The cables will be buried in the seabed. We’ll install the cables using large specialist vessels which are able to transport and lay long sections of cables (up to 100 km). Some cable joints will need to be made at sea during the installation process.
The current position of the HVDC cable laying vessel, the Cable Enterprise, can be tracked using the MarineTraffic.com tool below.
- Our vessel, IEVOLI AMBER, will begin surveying the deep water area from the end of August. We will also make a pre-lay grapnel run of the area.
- Starting in early September our survey vessel WESSEX EXPLORER will begin surveying the nearshore area.
- The AETHRA burial vessel will begin route clearance work at the end of September.
- We will begin nearshore pre-lay works from our vessel WILLENDEAVOUR at Lee-on-the-Solent in September. These works will take place up to 2km from the beach.
- We expect to begin laying the HVDC cable in mid to late October.
- To prepare for the arrival of the HVDC cables, we are digging a trench in the intertidal area off Monks Hill Beach. We will gradually extend the trench further away from the shore. We expect to complete this work in mid-October.
Last updated: Wednesday, September 4, 2019